Our Choice Recommendation
- Old Town's tough, three-layer molded polyethylene hull is designed to take a beating.
- Agile, stable, and easy-to-handle, the Discovery 119's sleek build is ideal for exploring.
- Sit comfortably on a durable, breathable, UV-resistant, nylon-webbed seats, which allows air to flow freely for...
Are you looking for a canoe?
What are some features you should prioritize in your canoe search?
How do these features work together to make the best canoe possible?
If you’re wondering which qualities and characteristics are most important in your new canoe, here are a few to keep in mind:
- Size: Pick a canoe that’s big enough for the number of passengers you’re planning to travel with.
- Weight limit: Choose a canoe with a reasonable capacity for you, any other passengers, and gear.
- Purpose: Choose a canoe based on exploring, fishing, or speed, depending on your needs.
- Materials: Pick a canoe made out of the materials you like best for their appearance, durability, or maintenance needs.
Of course, it’s also important to prioritize the features you personally want in a canoe, regardless of whether or not they’re on this list. All of the features on the list above combine to create a canoe that works for you and your specific situation, so it’s important to meet as many of your own requirements as possible in a single boat.
***BUY THE BEST KAYAKS FOR SALE TODAY: Buy the best kayaks for sale in our list collection. Kayak For Sale.
Take a look at these choices below and keep your favorite canoe features in mind as you check them out. Whatever your budget may be, you should be able to find the perfect canoe to meet your needs.
Option #1. Sevylor Ogden 2-Person Canoe Combo
The Sevylor Ogden 2-Person Canoe Combo is a unique inflatable canoe that works well for quick trips as well as wilderness survival scenarios. This useful product is made of polyester and features several air chambers for safety.
- The boat includes adjustable seats for comfort and ease of use.
- The valve is built to resist leaks.
- This boat is difficult to paddle over long stretches.
- There may not be enough leg space for two passengers on this canoe.
Option #2. Sun Dolphin Scout Elite Square Back Canoe
Available in either navy blue or hazelnut red, the Sun Dolphin Scout Elite Square Back Canoe is a great entry-level canoe option for anyone looking to get started. This option can be paddled or used with a trolling motor depending on your needs, and with three seats, there’s space enough for the whole family to join in the fun.
- This offer features built-in rod holders for convenience and safety.
- The seats are molded and comfortable.
- This choice is not very stable overall and isn’t meant for standing in.
- Many customers have had issues with this canoe arriving damaged.
Option #3. Old Town Discovery 119 Solo Canoe
Try the Old Town Discovery 119 Solo Canoe if you’re looking for a durable but lightweight canoe that can get you out on the water on your own. This is a spacious canoe that comes with a built-in netting-style seat to keep you cool and comfortable on fishing or exploration adventures.
***FIND THE BEST FISHING KAYAK HERE: Pick up the best fishing kayak in our list collection. Kayaks For Fishing.
- This canoe can hold up to 500 pounds of weight.
- The canoe itself only weighs 49 pounds, so it’s easier to carry without assistance than some others.
- This model has been discontinued from Old Town, so it can be tough to find replacement parts if needed.
- The canoe may arrive damaged.
Option #4. Old Town Next Canoe
The Old Town Next Canoe is one of the most popular models from the beloved Old Town line. This canoe is a hybrid between a canoe shape and a kayak style with a removable seat that can be adjusted slightly depending on your needs. Try out this comfortable and sleek boat any time you need speed and precision.
- You can paddle this option with either canoe or kayak paddles.
- The canoe is easy to maneuver even for beginners.
- The included seat may need to be upgraded sooner rather than later.
- The boat weighs 60 pounds and is tough to carry without help.
Option #5. Sun Dolphin Mackinaw 15.6-Foot Canoe
Go with the Sun Dolphin Mackinaw 15.6-Foot Canoe if you’re looking for a durable larger-sized canoe for you and a couple of friends, family members, or dogs to enjoy together. This is the larger version of the Sun Dolphin Scout canoe and comes with a few extra features, including a built-in cooler in the center seat.
***GET THE BEST TANDEM KAYAKS HERE: Grab the best tandem kayak in our list collection. Tandem Kayak.
- The seats include drink holders so you can stay hydrated and comfortable on this canoe.
- The canoe has more storage space than some others on the list.
- This boat is large, heavy, and can be difficult to transport and store.
- The canoe is wobbly and not as stable as some other options.
Option #6. Old Town Discovery 169 Two-Person Recreational Canoe
For a large and spacious canoe with a lot of quality to back it up, check out the Old Town Discovery 169 Two-Person Recreational Canoe . This canoe can hold up to 1400 pounds of weight and up to two people. It’s designed to keep you comfortably out on the water all day and help you explore efficiently as well.
- The canoe includes webbed seats for comfort and breathability.
- The hull is built to hold up to plenty of wear and tear without becoming too damaged.
- This option is a very large, very heavy canoe with a lot of space requirements.
- A single person cannot haul or paddle this canoe alone.
Option #7. Old Modern Handicrafts Real Canoe
When you prefer your canoe to be a work of art, you may want to try the Old Modern Handicrafts Real Canoe . This canoe is made out of real wood and is handcrafted, making it durable, long-lasting, and beautiful to look at as well.
***GET THE BEST SIT-ON-TOP KAYAK HERE: Find the best sit-on-top kayaks in our kayak sit-on-tops collection. Sit On Top Kayaks.
- This offer is an aesthetic masterpiece of a canoe that is sure to turn heads while you’re using it.
- The canoe paddles well and moves easily in the water.
- This choice is extremely pricey and may be over budget for many buyers.
- The boat is large and heavy, and it may be difficult to work with.
Did you find a canoe you love? As you can see, there are many options out there from all different price ranges, and you don’t have to be too limited if you’re sticking to a budget. Of course, if you want something that ticks all your boxes when it comes to features and qualities, you can always spend a little more and find just that.
But does it really matter if you spend more money on your canoe? Are brand names and price tags that indicative of quality when it comes to canoes, or are they secondary? Most of the time, you can find a good quality canoe in any price range, and as long as it’s not a toy then it’s probably going to be a decent enough product.
However, sticking with a name brand can make a big difference, especially when it comes time to replace parts or reach out to the company with questions and concerns. Choosing a canoe with a higher price tag may mean you’re getting something with a lot of bells and whistles—but if you’re looking for a simpler product, you don’t have to break the bank to make that happen.
No matter which canoe you choose from our list above, you’re sure to be happy with the results and ready to get out on the water right away!
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 13:35 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.