Our Choice Recommendation
- the comfort zone offers generous back support with its tall height, perfect for a full day on the water.
- enjoy a softer ride with the extra seat padding, which offers more cushioning than traditional kayak seats.
- adjustable straps on the sides allow the paddler to fine-tune the seat to a variety of comfort options.
What is a kayak seat?
Do kayaks always come with seats already built in?
What happens if you need a seat upgrade for your kayak?
Kayak seats are padded seating areas designed for use on kayaks. Some kayaks come with lawn chair style seating, but most include cushions and backrests instead.
The seats included with most kayaks are often not as good quality as some other upgrade options out there. Updating your seat can make a big difference in your comfort level when on the water.
If you’re wondering why you might want to consider putting a better seat in your kayak, here are some benefits of upgrading:
***GET BEST KAYAK TRAILER PACKAGE TODAY: See the best packages for kayak trailers in our list collection. Kayak Trailer.
- You’ll feel more comfortable and be able to enjoy your kayak for longer stretches of time.
- You won’t risk hurting yourself from repetitive motion.
- You can solve issues such as seats that slide out of place.
Check out the kayak seats below to find the right one for you.
Option #1. Welugnal Universal Sit on Top Kayak Seat
The Welugnal Universal Sit on Top Kayak Seat comes in a set of either one or two and includes buckles for attaching it to your kayak. This offer includes plenty of padding and ventilated fabric for all-day comfort.
- This choice has a tall seatback for taller passengers.
- The seat is fitted with a small storage bag on the back.
- The seat may not fit every kayak model on the market.
- The straps may break easily.
Option #2. Vibe Kayaks Deluxe Padded Kayak Seat
With the Vibe Kayaks Deluxe Padded Kayak Seat , you’ll enjoy comfort and extra lumbar support at the same time. Keep yourself out even longer with t his easy-to-install seat as part of your kayak gear. With an included bonus storage bag, it’s got everything you need and more.
***FIND KAYAK PADDLES & OARS HERE: See oars for kayaks in our paddle accessories collection list. Kayak Paddle.
- The snaps for connecting the seat to your kayak are made of durable brass that won’t rust easily.
- The seat and storage bag are both water-resistant.
- The stitching may tear easily on this seat, or it may arrive already torn.
- The straps may fall off the seat sooner rather than later.
Option #3. BKC Professional Sit on Top Full Kayak Seat
Try the BKC Professional Sit on Top Full Kayak Seat when you’re looking for a bigger and more comfortable seat than the one you already have. This seat attaches via straps to the kayak and features sturdy hooks that make it easier to put it in place and take it off again when you’re finished using it.
- This seat has extra padding on the cushion as well as on the back.
- The seat is easy to clean and maintain.
- Some kayaks may not be wide enough for this seat.
- The taller seatback may be more uncomfortable for some shorter passengers.
Option #4. Pactrade Marine Adjustable Padded Deluxe Kayak Seat
Install the Pactrade Marine Adjustable Padded Deluxe Kayak Seat for long-term use in any water conditions. This seat is resistant to damage from the elements as well as from saltwater, and it is sure to last for a long time to come. Made of a polyester shell over EVA foam, the seat is water-resistant as well.
***GET THE BEST KAYAK TROLLING MOTOR TODAY: Pick up the best kayak motor in our electric trolling selection. Kayak Motors.
- This option features adjustable straps to make it easier to find your comfort level.
- The seat comes with a removable storage back that can be used on the seatback.
- Some products may arrive missing pieces on rare occasions.
- Depending on the style of your kayak, it can be difficult to install this seat properly.
Option #5. Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back
With the Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back , you can have even more support and security while you’re seated in your watercraft. This seat installs easily by clipping into place, and it features a wraparound seatback that holds you snugly in your spot so you feel safer while moving through the water.
- This seat is great for beginners thanks to the wraparound design that provides more of a sense of security.
- The seat is designed to resist exposure to UV rays.
- The hooks for attaching the seat to the kayak may need to be upgraded.
- The cushion isn’t as supportive as the back.
Option #6. Leader Accessories Deluxe Kayak Seat
The Leader Accessories Deluxe Kayak Seat comes in three different combinations of black and gray so you can find the style that is more aesthetically pleasing to you. The seat includes a total of four straps that can all be adjusted to achieve the perfect fit
- This seat features additional support on the cushion as well as on the seatback to protect you while you’re paddling.
- The seat is easy to install in just a few short minutes.
- The seat is not as comfortable as the back for most customers.
- The seat portion may also be too small for some customers.
Option #7. Yakpads Cushioned Seat Pad
Go with the Yakpads Cushioned Seat Pad when you want to choose one of the most popular products on our list. This seat comes in four options: a high back seat, a low back seat, a seat cushion with no back, and an additional lumbar support pillow. Using these options, you can configure a seat that meets all your needs.
***GET THE BEST KAYAK CARRIER RACKS HERE: See kayak rooftop carrier racks in our review selection. Kayak Roof Rack.
- The seats are filled with gel to protect you from temperature fluctuations.
- The seats are made of smooth and stretchy fabric that won’t stick to your skin.
- The cushion portion of the seat is thinner than some of the others listed here.
- The seat may slide around too much on some kayaks.
Now that you’ve had a chance to check out the different kayak seats you may be able to upgrade to, which one seems like the right pick for you? There are several things to keep in mind when you’re planning to upgrade your kayak seat. Paying attention to these qualities can make a difference in your success in making the right choice.
When choosing a kayak seat, what are the best features to look for? Keep an eye out for the following:
- Choose a seat that can support your weight. Some seats have recommended weight capacities, so it’s important not to exceed these.
- Pick a seat that won’t add too much to the weight of your kayak. Most seats are lightweight, but some are heavier than others.
- Choose a seat that works for either a sit-on-top or a sit-in kayak, depending on the style you have. While some are universal, others are not.
- Finally, pick a seat that’s got some ergonomic function whenever possible. This may be difficult to find, especially in lower budget ranges, but there are good-quality ergonomic seats out there.
Once you’ve had a chance to look over the kayaks on our list, you may want to consider writing down the features you want to prioritize. This way, you’ll be better able to narrow down the options based on the ones that meet your needs. Not every seat for kayak is made the same, and it can take some time to find the one that’s right for you.
If possible, go to a physical store and check out kayak seats before you decide. But if this isn’t possible, remember the tips we suggested for picking the perfect features every time.
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 12:48 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.