Our Best Tandem Kayaks Recommendation: Old Town Twin Heron
Tandem Kayak Bestsellers
What is a tandem kayak?
Does Old Town make good quality tandem kayaks?
Is an Old Town tandem kayak the right choice for you?
Tandem kayaks are any type of kayak that’s meant to be operated by two people at a time instead of just one. These kayaks are sometimes used for racing and competitive sports, but they can also be used for fishing, exploring, and recreation too.
***TRY OLD TOWN FISHING KAYAKS TODAY: Enjoy Old Town kayaking for fishing in our kayak list collection. Old Town Kayak.
Like all of its products, Old Town’s tandem kayaks are high-quality and made from durable materials. They’re built to last and are sure to keep you and a friend or family member out on the water for many years to come.
***COMPACT RECREATIONAL KAYAKS: See Old Vapor 10 recreational kayaks in our compact collection. Old Town Vapor 10.
In this article, we’ll show you two of the best Old Town tandem kayaks. Take a look at both and consider the similarities and differences between these models.
Once you’ve compared these two kayaks, you’ll be able to figure out whether either one is right for you—and if so, which one meets your needs the best.
Read on to learn more!
***OLD TOWN SPORTSMAN PDL AND MORE: See the Old Town PDL Sportsman fishing kayak in our review selection. Old Town Fishing Kayak.
Option #1. Old Town Twin Heron Angler Tandem Kayak
The Old Town Twin Heron Angler Tandem Kayak is designed to be safe and easy to use whether you have another person along for the ride with you or not. The front seat can be easily removed if you prefer to use this as a solo kayak, giving you lots of space for additional storage or for your favorite furry companion. This sleek kayak has a more rounded appearance than some others from the Old Town line and comes in a yellow and orange gradient color with black accents. It’s a great solution for any recreational tandem kayaking needs.
- This kayak includes adjustable seats with cushions to help keep you sitting comfortably for as long as you like.
- The kayak is 13.5 feet long, making it a reasonable size for hauling and transportation especially if you have assistance from someone else.
- Coming in at only 60 pounds, this is a very lightweight tandem kayak that’s easy for an individual to carry and use without a second person if needed.
- There are built-in paddle holders and cupholders for both passengers on this easy-to-use kayak.
- There is some deck bungee storage space available on the back of the watercraft.
What We Liked
- We like how easy it is to convert this kayak to a solo and back to a tandem once again. This kayak is truly ready for just about anything you can throw at it, whether you plan to bring along another person, a dog, or just additional gear. The versatility of this offer is one of its strongest features.
What Could Be Improved
- There’s not as much width on this kayak as there is on some other models, which means passengers with bigger body types may not be as comfortable using it as they would be in other kayaks. For this reason, we feel the width could be increased a bit to make it easier for more passengers to enjoy the kayak.
- This option is a good choice for solo anglers who aren’t interested in angler-specific kayaks with more add-ons and features.
- This kayak can support up to 500 pounds of weight between both passengers and additional items.
- This kayak doesn’t have much storage at all, so when you’re using it with two people on board, you may have trouble finding room for additional gear or other items.
- The kayak may be difficult to drain in comparison to some other models on the market, which makes maintenance more of a challenge.
Option #2. Old Town Looksha T Tandem Kayak
When you’re looking for a touring kayak that can keep you and a friend or family member out on the water for longer stretches of time and distance both, consider the Old Town Looksha T Tandem Kayak. This is an updated version of an older Old Town model that remains just as popular as its predecessor was. This kayak features two separate seating cockpits with plenty of storage space in between, and it comes in either a bright green-yellow or a stunning solid red. Made of a single layer of polyethylene, this is a lightweight kayak that’s easy to steer and maneuver.
***GET THE OLD TOWN OTTER TODAY: Grab the Old Town Otter in our kayak review feature. Old Town Otter Kayak.
- This is a spacious kayak that comes in at just over eighteen feet in length.
- The kayak includes the same foot brace support as many other Old Town models, which helps keep it upright and afloat more easily, even for beginners.
- The kayak features a rudder with foot pedals for easy operation.
- This offer is fitted with cushioned seats and thigh cushions as well, so you never have to worry about being uncomfortable or chafing your skin while you’re spending time out on the water.
- This choice can support up to 625 pounds of weight including both passengers and additional items.
What We Liked
- We like the ample space provided in both cockpits for both passengers. Both cockpits are the same size, which means neither paddler has to give up leg room for the comfort of the other. This makes it easier for both to paddle for longer periods of time and cover more distance when exploring, too.
What Could Be Improved
- There isn’t much storage on this kayak other than the on-deck bungee storage, and we feel it would be improved with a few more storage compartments. Since this kayak is intended for longer trips, it would be more convenient to be able to bring along more items.
- This option is an extremely stable kayak that offers a lot of durability and ease of use for beginners as well as experienced paddlers.
- Many customers report being able to paddle this kayak in tandem without having to be completely in sync with the other passenger, which is better for beginners.
- This offer is a very heavy kayak, coming in at 96 pounds, and a single person can’t easily lift or move it without help.
- The kayak is wide and therefore must be used with longer paddles than the traditional, which means you may need to buy new paddles for it.
Try Old Town Twin Heron Tandem Kayaks Today
There are several similarities between both of these tandem kayaks, but there are some differences, too. Figuring out which one suits your needs the best may take some planning and consideration, but it’s a crucial step toward bringing home the right kayak the first time.
But why would you even want a tandem kayak? Here are a few situations in which you may want to try one of these boats:
- If you like to kayak with a friend or family member, tandem is the way to go.
- If you’re trying to teach someone else to kayak, including a child or teen, you can use a tandem kayak to do this.
- If you’re very experienced at paddling, you may be able to steer a tandem kayak on your own and use the additional space for storage or for a pet.
Tandem kayaking doesn’t have to be limited to just two adults, although this is a great way to enjoy this type of activity too. There are many ways you can enjoy the use of a tandem kayak, so bring one home today!
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 12:55 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.