Our Choice Recommendation
- KEY FEATURES | 1-person sit on top fishing kayak - 9ft, 42lb, fishing and rec kayak perfect for throw and go...
- MOUNT FOR ACCESSORIES | Includes 4 flush-mount rod holders.
- STORAGE OPTIONS | V-Wave Center Hatch & storage wells in the bow & stern of the kayak.
What is a sit on top kayak?
Are sit on top kayaks better than sit-in kayaks?
Which one is the best style for you?
If you’re thinking of trying a SOT kayak, chances are you already have some idea of what these choices are. However, if not, a sit-on-top kayak is any style of kayak designed for the passenger to sit on it, rather than in it.
The opposite style is a sit-in kayak, which typically has a recessed seating area and is often fitted with a chair-style seat and seatback.
Sit-on-top kayaks offer some benefits that sit-in kayaks don’t, and vice-versa. Here are a few pros of using a sit-on-top kayak:
***BUY THE BEST KAYAKS FOR SALE TODAY: Buy the best kayaks for sale in our list collection. Kayak For Sale.
- These kayaks are easier to mount and dismount, so they’re better for both kids and beginners.
- These kayaks are often easier to steer and turn.
- These kayaks tend to have fewer extra features, which again makes them a good choice for beginners who don’t need to be overwhelmed with a lot of additional information when they’re just starting out.
On the other hand, sit-in kayaks have a few benefits to consider, too:
- Sit-in kayaks are usually sturdier and easier to keep stable, especially when fishing or in rougher waters.
- Sit-in kayaks tend to have more precision, although not always.
- Sit-in kayaks often feature more storage space and are designed to keep you on the water for longer stretches of time.
It’s totally up to you to decide whether or not a sit-on-top or a sit-in kayak is the best choice for you. However, if you’re thinking about trying a sit-on-top style kayak, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, you’ll find reviews for five of the most popular sit-on-top kayaks around. These offers all offer their own strengths and weaknesses, so take your time considering them.
***FIND THE BEST FISHING KAYAK HERE: Pick up the best fishing kayak in our list collection. Kayaks For Fishing.
Read on to find some helpful sit on top kayak reviews.
Option #1. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 Sit On Top Kayak
The Vibe Kayak Skipjack 90 Sit On Top Kayak comes in three different bold and vibrant color combinations and is ready to take out on the water right away. This kayak features a seat insert and comes with a paddle, and it even includes rod holders if you choose to use it for fishing.
- This kayak weighs only 42 pounds, so it’s fairly lightweight.
- There’s plenty of on-board bungee cord style storage on this boat.
- The seat may be uncomfortable and will need to be replaced after some time.
- The straps on the seat may break more easily than anything else on this watercraft.
Option #2. Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak
The Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak is the perfect fit for two passengers. This offer features adjustable strap-on seats and multiple footrest options for both people, and there’s plenty of room to bring along a dog or a child as well.
***GET THE BEST TANDEM KAYAKS HERE: Grab the best tandem kayak in our list collection. Tandem Kayak.
- This kayak comes in either bright green or bright orange color gradients for a unique look.
- The kayak supports up to 425 pounds of weight.
- There is no on-board storage, and this kayak is intended for short trips only.
- There may be leaking issues on this kayak, especially around seams.
Option #3. Driftsun Teton 120 Hard Shell Recreational Tandem Kayak
Take a friend or family member along for the ride in the Driftsun Teton 120 Hard Shell Recreational Tandem Kayak . This kayak is built for two and features two removable seat inserts as well as plenty of leg space for both passengers. It’s built with rod holders, cupholders, and even a middle seat for a child, too.
- The kayak is designed to be used with Scotty brand products if you choose to add them on.
- There is plenty of bungee storage as well as some waterproof storage space on board, too.
- The kayak may be prone to holding water.
- The carrying handles may break in some instances on this boat.
Option #4. Elkton Outdoors Tandem Fishing Kayak
Choose between gray and black stripes, camo print, or orange and white stripes when you go with the Elkton Outdoors Tandem Fishing Kayak . This kayak offers dry storage along with other storage options and comes with rod holders built into the design as well.
- This kayak includes built-in carrying handles to make it easier to haul and to attach to the roof of your vehicle.
- The kayak can hold up to 650 pounds.
- This is a fairly wobbly tandem kayak that may tip at least one passenger out, even on calm waters.
- The kayak is difficult to steer for some customers.
Option #5. Bonafide RS117 Sit on Top Fishing Kayak
The Bonafide RS117 Sit on Top Fishing Kayak is available in either sandy brown or bright blue. This kayak is sure to help you get started learning how to fish from a kayak in no time. This choice is durable and built to last for a long time in sun and water, and it includes everything you need for fishing as well. With a built-in transducer scupper and space for a rudder if you choose to add one, this is a fairly customizable sit-on-top kayak.
- This kayak features a durable seat with some adjustable options and plenty of comfort.
- There is enough storage on this kayak for a regular day of fishing on calm waters.
- The kayak weighs 75 pounds, so it can be tricky to haul and store.
- The kayak may move around more while you’re stopped in the water than some others like it.
Did you find the best sit on top kayak for your needs? There are a lot of different options out there, and although many of them offer the same basic features, there’s still a lot of variety overall within the sit-on-top kayak market. If you’re thinking of trying this type of kayak, you can’t go wrong with any of these options from the list above.
When picking a kayak sit on top styles are some of the most popular choices. But how can you know whether or not this is really the best choice for you? Here are a few situations in which a sit-on-top kayak may be the right kind for your needs:
- If you’re a beginner or you are teaching a beginner, including children, then a sit-on-top kayak is a good choice.
- If you’re trying to condition yourself to spend more time on the water before you splurge on a more sophisticated kayak, sit-on-top is the way to go.
- If you only go out every now and then and want something purely for recreation, sit-on-top kayaks can help.
- If you are an experienced paddler but you want something lightweight and easy to transport for quick trips with less experienced family or friends, you may want to bring home a sit-on-top kayak as well.
Whether you choose one of these kayaks or not, it’s important to understand the differences (and similarities!) between the two styles. Educating yourself on kayaking basics can go a long way toward helping you choose the right fit the first time, so you can get out on the water and start doing what you love sooner rather than later.
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 12:48 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.