Our Choice Recommendation
- J-style kayak carrier creates more room on the load bar
- PFD lever (pull, fold, done) for rapid folding and improved overhead clearance
- Accommodates kayaks up to 34 inches wide and 75 pounds
What is the Thule company like?
Do they make more than just the Thule kayak rack product line, or is this line the star of their catalog?
Should you consider this kayak rack for transporting and hauling your kayak?
Thule is a company that was built by active people, for active people. This company prides itself on creating products that make it easier to get out and move, whether that’s for sports, hobbies, or just for fun.
These choices available from Thule largely revolve around roof racks for vehicles. These racks can be used to haul bikes, canoes, kayaks, and much more. However, the company also makes other products, including luggage, tents, awnings, bike trailers, child bike attachments, and strollers.
If you’re looking for a quality brand name that can help you get out in nature and enjoy your time while you’re there, Thule may be the brand for you. Of course, if you’re searching for the perfect roof rack to bring your kayak along, Thule can help you with that as well.
***GET BEST KAYAK TRAILER PACKAGE TODAY: See the best packages for kayak trailers in our list collection. Kayak Trailer.
In this article, we’ll show you some of the best Thule rack selections for kayak purposes. Take your time, look through the options, and see which one may work with your vehicle as well as your kayak for your next adventure.
Read more about Thule kayak carrier options below.
Option #1. Thule Hull-A-Port Kayak Carrier 834
For a traditional J-bar style kayak roof rack that doesn’t come in over budget for most customers, consider the Thule Hull-A-Port Kayak Carrier 834 . This is a basic carrier that functions well and provides plenty of durability for all of your upcoming travels. This option features plenty of width to support kayaks of several sizes without taking up too much room on top of your vehicle.
***FIND KAYAK PADDLES & OARS HERE: See oars for kayaks in our paddle accessories collection list. Kayak Paddle.
- The rack is made from rust-resistant metal.
- This offer features padding for protecting your kayak’s hull and finish.
- The included straps are too short for many kayaks and may need to be upgraded.
- The included bolts may not be long enough for all existing vehicle crossbars.
Option #2. Thule Hull-A-Port XT Kayak Rack
The Thule Hull-A-Port XT Kayak Rack allows you to bring along two kayaks stacked next to each other or a single kayak in a J-bar configuration, depending on your needs. The included hardware makes it easy for this rack to fit the majority of existing crossbars, thanks to its near-universal design. This choice is also possible to lock this rack into place on your crossbars, as long as you have an additional locking mechanism for use with roof racks.
- This option can support up to 130 pounds between both kayaks, and up to 75 pounds for just one kayak.
- It’s quick and easy to fold the roof rack flat when it’s not in use.
- Some customers report issues mounting this rack to round crossbars.
- Very large kayaks may not fit well on this roof rack.
Option #3. Thule Compass Kayak/SUP Carrier
The Thule Compass Kayak/SUP Carrier provides more than one option when you’re looking to bring along your kayak on an adventure. You can use this rack in a traditional J-bar style for one kayak, or you can unfold it on both sides and bring along two kayaks at the same time with the “stacker” function. Both options provide plenty of padding and durability to keep your kayak safe and protected while making sure it stays in place on top of your vehicle, too. This is a good roof rack for anyone who sometimes needs to bring multiple boats on a single trip.
***GET THE BEST KAYAK TROLLING MOTOR TODAY: Pick up the best kayak motor in our electric trolling selection. Kayak Motors.
- This offer comes with universal hardware and is designed to fit almost all crossbars without needing an adapter.
- The rack can be folded up or down as needed in just a few seconds.
- The included tie-down straps are not very good quality and may need to be updated.
- The padding may tear easily over time.
Option #4. Thule Hull-A-Port Pro Rooftop Kayak Carrier
When you’re looking for a roof rack that has a lot of padding to keep your kayak safe and secure at all times, look no further than the Thule Hull-A-Port Pro Rooftop Kayak Carrier . This J-bar shaped roof rack secures your kayak in place and can be folded up or down depending on how and when you need to use it. This choice also includes tie-down straps that can be adjusted with a ratchet mechanism, which helps keep everything even more secure than ever before.
- The rack is fitted with a lever that makes it quick and simple to fold or unfold it on the go as needed.
- This option fits most round crossbars without the need for an adapter.
- The included screws may strip and become damaged easily.
- The carriage bolts may be hard to tighten on installation.
Option #5. Thule Hull-A-Port Aero Kayak Carrier
The Thule Hull-A-Port Aero Kayak Carrier mounts onto the Thule brand square crossbar adapter, which is sold separately. This offer secures firmly to the crossbars and stays in place without wobbling around, even while you’re driving at higher speeds. The rack can be popped up into the correct position for use and then folded flat again when it’s not needed, so you don’t have to worry about it getting in the way when you pass under low bridges or drive in a parking garage. This is the highest-end Thule roof rack model and is a great addition to any vehicle.
- The carrier locks onto your crossbars with an included key, so you don’t have to be concerned about anyone stealing your kayak.
- This choice features plenty of padding to protect the hull of your kayak.
- This option may take a little time to install the first time, especially without any prior experience.
- This is the most expensive roof rack on our list and may be over budget for some.
There are a lot of good choices when you’re looking for a kayak roof rack from Thule. This company makes several models that are designed to work with various vehicles, so you never have to worry too much about being able to find something that matches your existing car, crossbars, or kayak.
These options are readily available and easy to install, which makes them even more beneficial. And since they last a long time, they’ll be a part of your experiences and journeys for years to come, keeping you and your kayak safe and providing convenience wherever you go.
But why should you consider Thule over other brands on the market? What really sets it apart? Aren’t these offers from this company the same as those from any others?
Although it’s possible to buy kayak roof racks from many different brands and companies, Thule is a brand that cares about its products. These racks are built to last and come from a company full of people who care about making products that work. If you’re looking for a roof rack backed by some integrity and quality customer service at the same time, Thule is the way to go.
And, as an added bonus, you can always stock up on other items needed for your outdoor adventures from the same brand!
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 12:05 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.