Our Choice Recommendation
- Carry up to 2 kayaks: Fits 1 kayak in J-cradle position (up to 80 lbs.) or 2 kayaks in a vertical, stacked position...
- Fits most crossbars: Compatible with Yakima SteamLine and round, square, factory and aerodynamic crossbars; Minimum...
- Includes straps: Includes all the necessary hardware and straps (Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs) to...
What is the Yakima company like?
Is this company trusted by its customers?
Do they make other items, or are car racks their specialty?
The Yakima company makes more than just racks for watercrafts, but it does focus on transportation vehicle racks for a variety of different sports equipment. Their boat roof racks are some of their best-selling items, but they’re certainly not the only ones worth taking a look at.
Here are a few more facts about Yakima:
- This company also produces hitches and cargo boxes, and it even makes items for your base camp, such as awnings, tents, and more.
- If you’re looking for all the gear you need to get out there and enjoy nature while keeping active the whole time, you can’t go wrong choosing items from Yakima.
- The company has been around for decades, and it began focusing more on kayaking needs at the end of the 1970s.
- It became more widely recognized at the 1974 Summer Olympics and has been a trusted name in the sporting world ever since.
- Customers love and support this company, and in turn, the company supports them as well.
If you’re looking for some of the best paddlecraft roof racks available from the Yakima brand name, you’ve come to the right place.
Below, we’ve gathered information to help you choose the perfect roof rack for your boating needs. No matter what type of vehicle you might have, you’re sure to find just what you’re looking for among the Yakima products listed below.
And best of all, those products will be backed by a company that cares about the satisfaction and safety of its customers, too.
Read on to find out more about Yakima watercraft rack options.
Best By Category:
MOST FEATURES: Yakima – BowDown Roof Mounting System for Boats. It has a built-in ramp system, HullGuard padding to protect the boat, SteelCore construction steel tube frame, and includes Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs.
GREAT VALUE: Yakima KayakStacker Rooftop Boat Rack with Tie-Downs. It has non-scratch vinyl-coated steel posts, versatile “arrow” top hook for quick tie down, fits car rack systems with round and square crossbars, and includes Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs.
BEST FOR BEGINNERS: Yakima – HandRoll Rooftop Mounted Paddlecraft Rack for Vehicles, One Set of Mounts. It has universal mounting hardware that fits most roof racks, built-in load assist with durable rubber rollers to guide the boat into place, includes all necessary hardware and straps to secure gear, and tool-free installation.
Option #1. Yakima KayakStacker Rooftop Watercraft Rack with Tie-Downs
If you wish to move many boats at once, the Yakima KayakStacker Rooftop Boat Rack with Tie-Downs is the ideal option. Boat tying down is made simple and quick with this rack’s non-scratch, vinyl-coated steel supports and adaptable arrow-top hooks. To protect your boat and car, it comes with heavy-duty straps and coated metal buckles that suit both round and square crossbars. Up to four boats may be transported using the KayakStacker at a maximum weight of 80 lbs each. Also, it is pre-assembled, so there is no need to worry about a challenging installation procedure.
Whitewater, fishing, leisure, or ocean paddlecrafts all work well with the KayakStacker. With its powerful straps and tie-downs, it helps with loads while still being tool-free to install and collapsible when not in use. Moreover, it works with SKS locks for enhanced security.
Although the Yakima KayakStacker is a great option for carrying many watercrafts at once, there are a few possible drawbacks to take into account. For starters, given the height of the car or truck they’re driving, it could be challenging for one person to mount the boats by themselves. Also, in order to install the stacker properly, you might need to stand on the vehicle seats or a step stool.
The Yakima KayakStacker is still a great option for people searching for a dependable solution to transport several paddlecrafts at once, even with these potential limitations. Because of its compatibility with SKS locks and heavy-duty straps, your boats will be kept safe throughout transport. Also, when not in use, its collapsible shape makes storage simple. You may feel secure knowing that your kayaking excursions will be risk-free and hassle-free thanks to the integration of all these elements into one product!
- Non-scratch, vinyl-coated steel supports and adaptable arrow-top hooks for easy boat tying down
- Heavy-duty straps and coated metal buckles that suit both round and square crossbars for protection of boat and car
- Pre-assembled, so no challenging installation procedure
- Compatible with SKS locks for enhanced security
- Collapsible when not in use for easy storage
- Could be challenging for one person to mount the watercrafts by themselves due to height of car or truck
- Might need to stand on vehicle seats or a step stool to install properly
Option #2. Yakima HandRoll Rooftop Mounted Paddlecraft Rack for Cars
If you want to move your boats easily, the Yakima HandRoll Rooftop Mounted Watercraft Rack for Cars is the ideal option. It fits most crossbars with a minimum spread of 24 inches and comes with one pair of mounts (two are required to carry gear). The integrated load assistance function offers sturdy rubber rollers that support guiding your boat into position and rotate to fit the contour of your boat for a safe grip. To guarantee that your equipment is securely fastened, all required hardware and straps, such as Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs, are included. It can be installed quickly and easily without the use of any tools, and it works with SKS Lock Cores (sold separately).
With so many functions, this rack is the best option for carrying paddlecrafts. Most roof racks, including square, round, factory, and aerodynamic bars, may be mounted on it thanks to its universal mounting hardware. The rubber rollers include a built-in load assist that helps you position your boat while also conforming to its contour for a safe grip. You can be confident that your boat will remain in place during travel since it also locks firmly onto the roof rack using SKS Lock Cores (available separately). Moreover, all required hardware and straps are provided, eliminating the need for additional purchases.
Although this product has many wonderful advantages, there are also some possible drawbacks. Due to its universal mounting hardware design, for instance, it might not suit all roof racks or automobiles. Also, because of its size and weight, it could be challenging to install on some types of automobiles (6 pounds). Finally, if you want additional protection when moving your paddlecraft, you will need to buy SKS Lock Cores separately as they are not included.
The Yakima HandRoll Rooftop Mounted Watercraft Rack for Cars nonetheless has many benefits that make it worthwhile to take into account in spite of these possible drawbacks. Its universal mounting gear makes it compatible with the majority of roof racks, and its integrated load assist feature lets you secure your boat without exerting additional effort. Also, you don’t need to worry about buying any other products or accessories because all required hardware and straps are provided. Moreover, due to its lightweight construction and compatibility with SKS Lock Cores, it is easy to install and provides additional security.
- Fits most crossbars with a minimum spread of 24 inches
- Includes Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs
- Built-in load assist helps you position your boat while also conforming to its contour for a safe grip
- Might not suit all roof racks or automobiles
- Could be challenging to install on some types of automobiles (6 pounds)
- SKS Lock Cores not included
Option #3. Yakima JayHook Rooftop Mounted Boat Rack
If you want to move your paddlecraft easily, the Yakima JayHook Rooftop Mounted Watercraft Rack is the ideal option. With its universal mounting gear, this rack can be quickly and simply mounted to most roof racks and is intended to suit any style of boat up to 80 pounds. The sturdy cushioned contact areas offer grip and security, and the J-shaped cradle makes loading and unloading your paddlecraft simple. No tools are needed, and installation takes only a few minutes. Moreover, Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs are included, providing you with everything you need right out of the box.
Also, this rack has a ton of features that set it apart from the competitors. It is compatible with the majority of roof racks on the market because of its minimal crossbar spread of 24″. Heavy strength straps and bow/stern tie downs are also included for further security while transporting your watercraft. Furthermore, this rack weighs only 10.5 pounds, making it simple to transport when necessary.
Although this rack has many wonderful characteristics, there are also some possible drawbacks that should be taken into account before buying. For starters, the installation plugs are only good for one usage; if they break or disappear, you will need to contact a Yakima dealer for replacements, which might not always be easy or available. Also, unlike some other versions on the market, this rack cannot be folded, which may make storage more challenging in some circumstances.
The Yakima JayHook Rooftop Mounted Boat Rack still provides a lot of benefits that make it worthwhile to take into consideration when making your next purchase despite these possible negatives. It can be mounted on the majority of roof racks now on the market thanks to its universal mounting gear, and because to its lightweight construction, it is portable when required. Also, its cushioned contact areas offer grip and safety when traveling, letting you know that your paddlecraft will be kept secure throughout transit. This rack is the perfect answer for anybody seeking for a practical method to transport your watercraft without compromising on quality or convenience thanks to all these qualities put together!
- Quick and simple installation
- Compatible with most roof racks
- Includes Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs
- Installation plugs are only good for one usage
- Cannot be folded for storage
Option #4. Yakima JayLow Rooftop Mounted Boat Rack
For individuals who want to move their watercrafts with ease, the Yakima JayLow Rooftop Mounted Paddlecraft Rack is the ideal option. With one watercraft in a J-cradle configuration (up to 80 pounds) or two boats stacked vertically, this rack can accommodate up to two boats (up to 110 lbs. combined). Most crossbars with a minimum spread of 24″ will fit, including Yakima SteamLine and round, square, factory, and aerodynamic crossbars. The integrated cam lever makes it simple to change the upright position and, when not in use, folds flat for improved clearance and less drag. Installation takes merely a few minutes and requires no tools. Also, it’s ready to use right out of the box!
The extra-padded contact areas on this rack, which is composed of sturdy plastic, offer protection and a firm grip when traveling. Also, it comes with all the straps and hardware (such as Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs) required to secure your equipment. It may be fastened to the base rack with SKS Lock Cores for increased security (sold separately). You may choose between whitewater, leisure, ocean, or fishing paddlecrafts to transport with the JayLow.
Although while this product has many wonderful features that make moving your watercrafts more simpler than ever before, there are a few drawbacks to be aware of. The clamps are made of plastic, which makes it easy to overtighten them and risk damaging them. Moreover, the clamping components will continue to flex as the knobs turn indefinitely. Second, if you wish to carry two boats at once, you’ll need an additional set of straps. Last but not least, it may be challenging to climb the Jaylows alone with a 52-pound boat since it demands considerable muscle and coordination.
Yet, this product still has a ton of benefits that make it worthwhile to take into account for your next excursion despite these possible negatives. It offers load help and is compatible with SKS locks for increased security. Heavy-Duty Straps & Tie-Downs are also included in the kit. Also, thanks to its adaptable design, you can easily alter the upright position while it folds down when not in use for improved clearance and less drag. This item can be precisely what you need for your upcoming outdoor adventure thanks to its sturdy design and simple installation technique!
- Accommodates up to two boats (up to 110 lbs. combined)
- Extra-padded contact areas offer protection and a firm grip when traveling
- Comes with all the straps and hardware required to secure your equipment
- Compatible with SKS locks for increased security
- Adaptable design allows you to easily alter the upright position
- Folds down when not in use for improved clearance and less drag
- Clamps are made of plastic, which makes it easy to overtighten them and risk damaging them
- Clamping components will continue to flex as the knobs turn indefinitely
- Additional set of straps needed if carrying two paddlecrafts at once
- Challenging to climb the Jaylows alone with a 52-pound paddlecraft
Option #5. Yakima BowDown Roof Mounting System for Boats
If you own a watercraft or boat and want to carry it easily, the Yakima BowDown Roof Mounting System for Boats is the ideal option. When not in use, this system folds down for greater aerodynamics and roof clearance while supporting one boat or boat weighing up to 80 pounds. With a minimum crossbar spread of 24″, its universal mount is compatible with the majority of crossbars (Yakima round, square, factory, and aerodynamic bars) right out of the box. The top-of-the-line HullGuard padding safeguards your boat while traveling, and the integrated ramp system makes loading and unloading your boat simple. This system is simple to install and has a superb steel tube frame made by SteelCore construction that requires no tools for assembly or installation. For enhanced security, SKS (Same Key System) locks are offered (sold separately).
Many characteristics make this system unique compared to other paddlecraft carriers on the market. Because to its J-cradle design, which keeps your watercraft on its side and takes up little roof space, you can load the boat swiftly and effortlessly in just a few minutes. The BowDown comes with bow and stern tie-down straps for stability as well as an integrated boat ramp system that makes it simple to carry your paddlecraft onto the rooftop. EVA foam is also used by the device to shield your boat from dents and scratches while it is being transported.
Despite the fact that this product has many wonderful characteristics, buyers should be aware of a few potential drawbacks before making a purchase. For instance, SKS locks are not included with the BowDown; if needed, they must be ordered individually. Also, some customers might discover that the SteelCore frame weighs too much to fit on their car’s roof rack. Last but not least, even though this item is made to suit the majority of crossbars right out of the box, certain customers could require extra adapters based on their particular arrangement.
Despite these potential negatives, the product still has a lot of benefits that make it worthwhile to examine. The BowDown is appropriate for whitewater, recreational, oceanic, and fishing adventures alike since it can carry any kind of watercraft up to 80 pounds. Moreover, Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs are included, allowing you to relax knowing that your vessel will be kept safe throughout transit. Also, you won’t have to worry about any damage happening while traveling because to its sturdy, cushioned contact areas, which offer protection and grip!
- Folds down for greater aerodynamics and roof clearance
- Supports one boat or boat up to 80 pounds
- Universal mount compatible with majority of crossbars
- HullGuard padding safeguards boat while traveling
- Integrated ramp system makes loading/unloading simple
- SteelCore construction requires no tools for assembly/installation
- J-cradle design takes up little roof space
- Bow and stern tie-down straps for stability
- EVA foam shields boat from dents/scratches
- Heavy Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie Downs included
- SKS locks not included, must be ordered separately
- SteelCore frame may be too heavy for some car roof racks
- May require extra adapters based on particular arrangement
Now that you’ve had a chance to check out some of the best Yakima roof racks for watercrafts on the market today, it’s time to pick your favorite and get it installed! With the right roof rack, you’ll be well on your way to a comfortable and safe experience every time you transport your paddlecraft.
How can you find out whether or not a Yakima car rack can be used with your car? Here are some tips to help you get started:
- One of the best ways to find out whether or not a Yakima product will work for your vehicle is to use the company web site’s specialized matching tool. This will allow you to plug in your vehicle’s information and find products that are compatible with it.
- If you prefer not to use this tool, however, you can find these offers that work with your vehicle by measuring. Measure your vehicle’s roof, and if you have crossbars already installed, measure the distance between them as well. From there, you can compare these measurements to the size of the racks you’re looking at.
- Check the information on the roof rack’s sales listing, or look on its packaging if you are viewing the rack in person. You can sometimes find suggestions about vehicle makes and models this way, as well.
- Don’t forget to consider the number of boats and weight of these choices you need to haul, too. Keep in mind, however, that you may not be able to bring along more than one watercraft, depending on the size and power of your vehicle.
Choose the rack that fits your vehicle best. Even if there are multiple racks that could work, look for the one that best matches your vehicle first, followed by your needs. These tips can help you narrow down your selection and find the perfect roof rack right away.
5 Essential Tips for Installing Yakima Rack For Kayakss
- Make sure to measure the width of your paddlecraft before purchasing a rack. This will ensure that you get the right size rack for your watercraft.
- When installing the rack, make sure to use the appropriate hardware and tools. This will help ensure that the rack is securely attached to your vehicle.
- Be sure to read all instructions carefully before beginning installation. This will help you avoid any potential mistakes or problems during installation.
- If possible, enlist a friend or family member to help with installation. Having an extra set of hands can make the process much easier and faster.
- Once installed, be sure to check all connections and bolts periodically. This will help ensure that your rack remains secure and safe while in use.
ALSO: Consider investing in a locking system for added security when using your Yakima boat racks!
Helpful Information For Readers
These things are a great way to move your watercrafts around in a safe and secure way. They give you a safe, stable place to put your boats when you transport them, and they come in different sizes and styles to fit any vehicle. Yakima racks are made to be easy to use, so you don't have to worry about your paddlecrafts slipping or falling off the rack when you put them on or take them off. Also, these racks have straps that can be tightened to keep the watercrafts in place while they are being moved. With Yakima's patented anti-sway technology, you can be sure that your boats will stay safe and secure on the road. Also, these racks are made of strong materials that won't rust or break down over time, so they can be used for a long time. Buying a Yakima rack is a great way to make sure you can go on outdoor adventures without having to worry about how you're going to get there.
Usage Application Ideas: What Are They Good For?
There are three primary ways to use these racks: First of all, they are a great way to move your paddlecraft from place to place. The racks are made to hold the watercraft securely in place while you drive, and they also protect it from road debris and other dangers. Second, you can use these racks to store your boat when you're not using it. This will keep it safe and secure and free up space in your garage or shed. Lastly, you can use them to get your paddlecraft off the ground. This makes it easier and safer to get into the water because you don't have to carry the watercraft down a steep slope or beach access point. Because of these features, they are a must-have for any serious paddler who wants an easy way to carry their boat safely and securely.
The Cons: What To Expect
There are a few disadvantages to bear in mind despite the many advantages of these products. They can be challenging to install and call for some technical expertise, to start. Even with all the required equipment and instructions, effectively mounting the rack onto your car might take several hours. They are also more costly than other kinds of racks available on the market. Fortunately, there are strategies to lessen these drawbacks. It can be worthwhile to hire a professional installer or enlist the assistance of a knowledgeable friend for installation issues. If money is an issue, consider purchasing used or refurbished versions that provide comparable quality at a cheaper price. Additionally, a lot of stores run specials all year long that might reduce the cost of buying a Yakima boat rack.
What Guidelines Should Be Used To Evaluate Them?
The most crucial quantitative factors to consider while evaluating them are weight capacity, simplicity of installation, and durability. When selecting a paddlecraft rack, weight capacity is crucial to take into account since it establishes how much weight the rack is capable of properly supporting. The rack's ability to be swiftly and simply assembled depends on how simple the installation process is. In order for the rack to endure repeated usage and survive all weather conditions, durability is also crucial. To make sure that a watercraft rack satisfies all of your requirements, all of these elements should be considered.
General User Experience: What To Know
These products are a great way to safely and securely transport your paddlecrafts. They come in many shapes and sizes, so you can find the right one for your car. The racks are made to be easy to set up and use, and the adjustable straps make it easy to keep your watercrafts in place. Yakima also sells extras like tie-down straps and locks to make the bags even safer. With these racks, you can be sure that your boats won't get damaged while you're moving them. They are also a great way to store your paddlecrafts when you aren't using them. This frees up space in your garage or shed. The quality of Yakima's construction means that their racks will last for many years and work well.
In general, follow these instructions to use these racks: To begin, ensure that your car is compatible with the rack you have selected. Then, follow the directions to mount the rack to your car. Finally, use straps or bungee cords to tie the watercrafts to the rack. Fourth, make certain that all straps and connectors are snug and secure. Fifth, adjust the strap tension so that it is snug but not too tight. Finally, relax and enjoy your excursion knowing that your boats are secure! You can simply utilize a Yakima boat rack to move your boats safely and securely if you follow these easy procedures.
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 21:04 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.