Our Choice Recommendation
- Carry up to 2 kayaks: Fits 1 kayak in J-cradle position (up to 80 lbs.) or 2 kayaks in a vertical, stacked position...
- Fits most crossbars: Compatible with Yakima SteamLine and round, square, factory and aerodynamic crossbars; Minimum...
- Includes straps: Includes all the necessary hardware and straps (Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs) to...
What is the Yakima company like?
Is this company trusted by its customers?
Do they make other items, or are car racks their specialty?
The Yakima company makes more than just racks for kayaks, but it does focus on transportation vehicle racks for a variety of different sports equipment. Their kayak roof racks are some of their best-selling items, but they’re certainly not the only ones worth taking a look at.
Here are a few more facts about Yakima:
***GET BEST KAYAK TRAILER PACKAGE TODAY: See the best packages for kayak trailers in our list collection. Kayak Trailer.
- This company also produces hitches and cargo boxes, and it even makes items for your base camp, such as awnings, tents, and more.
- If you’re looking for all the gear you need to get out there and enjoy nature while keeping active the whole time, you can’t go wrong choosing items from Yakima.
- The company has been around for decades, and it began focusing more on kayaking needs at the end of the 1970s.
- It became more widely recognized at the 1974 Summer Olympics and has been a trusted name in the sporting world ever since.
- Customers love and support this company, and in turn, the company supports them as well.
If you’re looking for some of the best kayak roof racks available from the Yakima brand name, you’ve come to the right place.
Below, we’ve gathered information to help you choose the perfect roof rack for your kayaking needs. No matter what type of vehicle you might have, you’re sure to find just what you’re looking for among the Yakima products listed below.
And best of all, those products will be backed by a company that cares about the satisfaction and safety of its customers, too.
Read on to find out more about Yakima kayak rack options.
***FIND KAYAK PADDLES & OARS HERE: See oars for kayaks in our paddle accessories collection list. Kayak Paddle.
Option #1. Yakima KayakStacker Rooftop Kayak Rack
With the Yakima KayakStacker Rooftop Kayak Rack , you can attach your single kayak easily to the roof of your vehicle. This mount comes with straps and tie-downs as well as two posts for easy installation. The posts fit onto your existing vehicle crossbars to support and firmly secure your kayak while you travel down the road.
- This is the most affordable rack on the list.
- It’s easy to remove these posts as needed.
- This rack requires you to already have crossbars on your vehicle and will not work without them.
- Although it’s possible to carry more than one kayak with these posts, it is best not to for safety reasons.
Option #2. Yakima HandRoll Rooftop Mounted Kayak Rack
Try the Yakima HandRoll Rooftop Mounted Kayak Rack when you want something even more secure for transporting your kayaks safely from Point A to Point B. This rack includes rollers that make it easier to slide your kayak into the right position while mounting, all without scratching the finish on your boat.
- This offer can be installed in no time without the use of any tools.
- This choice can be used with the Yakima locking system if you purchase it separately.
- This is only one mount, and you will need to purchase two in order to safely mount any kayak to your vehicle.
- Kayaks that are very large may roll around too much on this mount.
Option #3. Yakima JayHook Rooftop Mounted Kayak Rack
Pick up the Yakima JayHook Rooftop Mounted Kayak Rack when you need to secure your kayak on existing crossbars. This mount comes with all the hardware required for installation as well as straps and tie-downs, so you can make sure your kayak isn’t going anywhere once you have it in place.
- You can put this mount on your vehicle in just a few short minutes, with or without prior experience.
- The mount is padded so you don’t have to worry about it scuffing up your kayak.
- The padding on the mount may eventually flake off.
- The grips on the mount are not very secure and may slip off easily.
Option #4. Yakima JayLow Fold Down Rooftop Kayak Carrier
Choose the Yakima JayLow Fold Down Rooftop Kayak Carrier for a complete mount set capable of supporting two kayaks at once. This set works with the majority of crossbars that are at least 24 inches apart from each other, and it can be used to transport up to 110 pounds of weight.
- This mounting system can be used with a key lock if you purchase it separately.
- The mount can be folded down flat so you don’t have to worry about it when you’re driving without your kayak.
- The tie-downs and straps feature plastic buckles that don’t hold up well over time.
- Removing this mount can be challenging.
Option #5. Yakima BowDown Roof Mounting System
The Yakima BowDown Roof Mounting System is intended for supporting one kayak of up to 80 pounds. This option can be folded flat when you’re not using it, so you can drive safely and efficiently when not hauling your kayak. Best of all, it’s padded, so you don’t need to be concerned about it scuffing your kayak with regular use.
- This offer can be installed in just a few short minutes.
- The mount is designed to work with any existing crossbars of at least 24 inches in width.
- This choice cannot be used with locks.
- The included S-hooks are poor quality and need to be upgraded.
Now that you’ve had a chance to check out some of the best Yakima roof racks for kayaks on the market today, it’s time to pick your favorite and get it installed! With the right roof rack, you’ll be well on your way to a comfortable and safe experience every time you transport your kayak.
How can you find out whether or not a Yakima car rack can be used with your car? Here are some tips to help you get started:
- One of the best ways to find out whether or not a Yakima product will work for your vehicle is to use the company web site’s specialized matching tool. This will allow you to plug in your vehicle’s information and find products that are compatible with it.
- If you prefer not to use this tool, however, you can find these offers that work with your vehicle by measuring. Measure your vehicle’s roof, and if you have crossbars already installed, measure the distance between them as well. From there, you can compare these measurements to the size of the racks you’re looking at.
- Check the information on the roof rack’s sales listing, or look on its packaging if you are viewing the rack in person. You can sometimes find suggestions about vehicle makes and models this way, as well.
- Don’t forget to consider the number of kayaks and weight of these choices you need to haul, too. Keep in mind, however, that you may not be able to bring along more than one kayak, depending on the size and power of your vehicle.
Choose the rack that fits your vehicle best. Even if there are multiple racks that could work, look for the one that best matches your vehicle first, followed by your needs. These tips can help you narrow down your selection and find the perfect roof rack right away.
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 10:09 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.